Poetry tips for beginners
If you are just getting into the art of poetry, or maybe you have written if for year. Here are a few simple tips to help you improve your writing. My writing is not near where I would like it to be, but I write this post as a help for both you and me.
1. Read poetry- You can find amazing poetry all over the internet. Tumblr, blogs, or simply buy yourself a few poetry books.
2. Discover what poetry that resonates with you the most. If its about love, life, everyday things, or nature.
3. Write, write and write- I am a firm believer that if you write more, the better you become. So find a pencil and a notebook and pour your heart and soul into that page. At first you don't really need to think about what you are writing, just let it flow. After you are finished, look up different words for everyday words. It will not only give more life to your writing, but also expand your vocabulary.
4. Carry a notebook with you everywhere. You can write on the buss, train or during class. When you start to open up to your feelings, your inspiration can flow at any time, so be prepared. Even if you just find a word you like, or you like a quote from your textbook.
5. Share your poetry with friends and strangers- Sharing your art to people, will not only inspire that person, but they can also give you feedback. You can not improve by keeping it all to yourself. You can find you best friend, a family member or a whole group of people. Just read. I promise you will not regret it.
(photo by Martine A. Hess)